A hygrometer is a tool that is used in measuring the levels of humidity in the air. It is also known as a humidity gauge or a humidity meter. The tool determines the amount of moisture contained in the atmosphere by monitoring the changes in temperature and pressure. The types of hygrometers available in the market include mechanical hygrometers, digital/electrical hygrometers, dew point hygrometers. Digital hygrometers are the most popular because one can acquire the type designed for indoor use or those designed for outdoor use.
Why you need a hygrometer at home
Here are some of the reasons why you should acquire a hygrometer for your home:
- It will help you reduce health problems in your home: Ensuring everyone in your home is healthy should always be your priority, and you can use the hygrometer to ensure your house’s conditions promote everyone’s well-being. This is because owning a hygrometer will ensure that you can monitor the indoor humidity in your home so that you can keep it at levels that minimize the growth of mold and bacteria. This will reduce the chances of you or your loved ones contracting infections within your home.
- The Best Dehumidifiers for Wood Floors
- The Best Mini Split Heat Pump Systems
- The Best Air Quality Monitor for Formaldehyde
- The Most Energy Efficient Portable Air Conditioners
- To enhance your comfort at home: Many people are currently spending most of their time indoors. To do this, their homes must be comfortable at all times. When the levels of humidity in your home are beyond the recommended levels, however, your comfort is likely to be compromised. Having a hygrometer will ensure that you monitor changes in the weather in your home and take appropriate actions to maintain it at comfortable levels.
- You can protect your property: Extreme humidity levels create an environment for the growth of mold, algae, and mildew, which can damage your furniture, clothing, and other items. You can use your hygrometer to monitor indoor humidity and ensure that you control the levels of water in the atmosphere. This will enable you to prevent the growth of mildew, algae, and mold to protect your property from mildew/mold damage.
- It makes it easy to manage your garden: Whether you have a greenhouse or the typical outdoor patio, you need a hygrometer so that you can measure the humidity and keep it at the levels required for optimal plant growth. When you have a greenhouse, a hygrometer comes in handy because it will make it easy for you to control the humidity levels in it. This will ensure your plants thrive and minimize issues related to high humidity.
Features to look for when shopping for a hygrometer
Are you planning to purchase a hygrometer for your home? If yes, you need to know the factors that you must consider before buying it in order to settle on the one that will serve you best and ensure you get value for your money. Here are the factors to consider when purchasing a hygrometer for your home:
- Choose a hygrometer that is easy to use: If you are shopping for a hygrometer for home use, avoid going for a complicated model that could be difficult for you to use. Buy a model that is easy to use and does not require much to maintain. It is worth noting that some professional hygrometers can be difficult and complex to use. As such, you should avoid them unless you have prior experience using them.
- Accuracy: Although hygrometers have different levels of efficiency, if you are shopping for one to use at home, consider a more accurate model. Hygrometers with accurate readings will make it easy for you to monitor your indoor humidity and temperature without the need for calculations to factor in the error margins.
- Buy those with an automatic shut off feature: Many people are aware of the need for convenience while adopting eco-friendly living. Acquiring a simple hygrometer with an auto shut off feature can help you reduce your electricity bill because when not in use, it will shut down. Remember that the savings might not be significant, but they will have an effect on your overall electricity bill, especially when combined with other eco-friendly technologies.
- Cost: When buying a hygrometer for your home, it is imperative to note that you do not have to invest too much money in order to get one that will serve you well. High prices do not always mean high quality since some models are relatively cheap but very efficient. In fact, if you do a bit of research, you will find a cost-friendly model that will serve you well.
Top Four Digital Hygrometers for Home – Reviews
ThermoPro TP63A comes fitted with high-quality rechargeable sensors that ensure the wireless thermometer can read indoor and outdoor humidity and temperature for every 50 seconds and can cover a maximum of 200ft/60 minutes away. It also features a touchscreen and backlight that allows you to use it in different situations.
- It is cold and water-resistant. If you are looking for a cold-resistant and waterproof digital hygrometer for use in your home, you should go for this model because it has a sealed remote sensor.
- It comes with a durable rechargeable lithium battery technology, and it can read even the lowest temperatures of -35° C /-31° F. This will ensure that you can get readings even in the harshest of conditions to keep you informed of the outdoor conditions.
- You get a 200 ft remote range. This indoor/outdoor digital hygrometer comes fitted with three outdoor remote sensors to give you a 200 ft remote range for your convenience. The remote sensors are also vital in ensuring that you can use it to monitor the temperatures of up to four different locations simultaneously with the option of buying more sensors to monitor more areas.
- The backlit touchscreen comes in handy when tracking temperatures in poorly lit rooms. The ThermoPro TP63A digital hygrometer features a backlit touchscreen with backlight screen displays that make it easy to read indoor and outdoor temperatures even in poorly lit areas.
- It displays the minimum and maximum temperature readings for all day/24 hours. This will ensure that you can notice even the slightest change in temperature so that you can make adjustments appropriately for your comfort.
You can accurately monitor your indoor humidity and temperature using this AcuteRite 01080M Pro and enhance your indoor comfort. AcuteRite 01080M Pro has an alarm and a temperature and humidity gauge that make it suitable for anyone who wants highly accurate readings in as short a span as after every 10 seconds.
- AcuRite 01080M Pro is easy to read and use. You can quickly get the indoor humidity and temperature readings from this thermometer without any struggle since it has displays that are large and bold.
- It is highly accurate. The gadget offers professional, reliable readings with an error margin of +/- 0.5° or +/- 2%, which is industry acceptable.
- You get up-to-date data. The thermometer measures indoor humidity and temperature after every 10 seconds. This ensures that you get updated weather changes so that you can act accordingly. It also displays the high and low recordings in the past 24 hours, thus allowing you to monitor the changes in weather conveniently.
- It supports alarm notifications. The thermometer is customizable and is programmed for high and low humidity readings. You will get an alarm notification if the humidity levels change and go past the set ranges.
- The hygrometer has a colorful humidity level indicator. As such, you can check the humidity and temperature levels with a glance since the indicators are bright, which makes it easy to determine if the recordings are within the desired ranges.
- It has the thinnest border design. This hygrometer has an appealing appearance with geometric aesthetics, which gives it a narrow border even though it comes with a large screen.
- Easy to use. You do not need any technical knowledge to use this hygrometer with a desktop stand placement for easy usage.
- The device comes fitted with a high definition screen. The BFOUR hygrometer has a HD screen with high contrast and no blind spots, which make it easy for you to get the readings.
- It is highly accurate. The BFOUR hygrometer uses the high-precision digital sensor manufactured by Swiss Sensirion SHT Series that gives precise temperature and humidity recordings. Its humidity accuracy has a variance of 3% while the temperature readings have an error margin of +/-03°F.
- The hygrometer makes up-to-date readings of indoor temperature and humidity. The BFOUR hygrometer takes readings after every 3 seconds to give you accurate and almost instant changes in temperature and humidity.
When it comes to your health and comfort, factors such as the quality of air, humidity, and indoor temperatures play an important role in promoting or compromising them. As such, you must be always on the lookout to ensure that these vitals are within the required range. A reliable and professional thermometer and hygrometer such as the SMARTRO SC42 will help you do this with ease.
- It offers professional-grade accuracy. The tool comes fitted with industrial-grade sensors with the capacity to detect even the slightest changes in temperature and humidity after every 10 seconds. The temperature error margin is +/- 0.5°F while the humidity has an error margin of +/-2%.
- Pre-calibrated. This digital hygrometer is pre-calibrated to ensure you get accurate humidity and temperature readings.
- It features a large backlight display that is easy to read. The SMARTRO SC42 professional digital hygrometer has a 3.5”HD LCD screen with backlight to make the display of humidity and temperature recordings perfect. The screen display is also large to make it easy to read recordings.
- You get 24-hour records. The SMARTRO SC42 digital hygrometer displays the maximum and minimum temperature recordings in the last 24 hours, thus giving you an absolute indication of weather changes in terms of humidity and temperature.